Here goes… Happy Easter! Today I venture into the land of food blogging.
Inline with all the Easter festivities, my first recipe is a healthy twist on the classic carrot cake. The healthiest thing about a traditional cake is perhaps the name. So creating a healthy version and attempting to maintain a similar taste and texture was initially a challenge.
However, replacement ingredients were incorporated to the recipe to reduce the fat and sugar content, but still maintain moisture. In turn creating a fat free, reduced sugar healthy yet yummy carrot cake.
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup sweetener (I used Splenda)
- 1 egg
- 4 egg whites
- 2 apples (peeled and cored)
- 1 tblsp honey
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tspn vanilla essence
- 2 cup oat flour
- 1 tspn ground cinnamon
- 1 tspn ground nutmeg
- 1 ginger stem (finely chopped)
- 1 tspn baking powder
- ½ tspn bicarbonate soda
- ¼ cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 ½ cup grated carrot
- ½ cup chopped dates
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 tub of light cream cheese
- 1 tspn vanilla extract
- 1 tspn honey
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 20-25 minutes
Note: nuts, dates or coconut can be removed from the recipe if desired
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Line two round baking tins with grease proof paper, or muffin tins, if you are making carrot cake cupcakes.
2. Start by making the apple sauce, so you can allow it to cool before adding into the mixture. Slice apples finely and cook slowly on the hob with a little water, letting the apples slowly reduce to a sauce. Leave to cool.
3. Beat egg and egg whites in a large mixing bowl. Gradually beat in the brown sugar, sweetener, applesauce, milk and vanilla.
4. Now to add in the dry ingredients. Fold in the oat flour (blended rolled oats) cinnamon, nutmeg, desiccated coconut, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
5. Finally, stir in the grated carrot and chopped dates. Divide mixture into two lined tins.
6. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. To check when the cake is ready, insert a skewer or tooth pick in the centre. If it comes out clean, its ready to cool, decorate and serve.
7. Beat the the cream cheese, add the honey and vanilla to sweeten taste. Spread between both cakes and smooth over the cake. Add walnuts to decorate. Enjoy! F x