Boiled, scrambled, poached… when in doubt eat eggs! Or at least this is generally my rule of thumb at most meal and snack times. Having just been home to the countryside for the weekend `i have had the absolute pleasure of eating our free range organic chicken eggs! Cluck cluck.
Egg whites scrambled with spinach and chilli sauce
Eggs are so versatile and can be cooked in many different ways both sweet and savoury. They can be eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner in both sweet and savoury forms. Some of the images in this post are examples of the eggs I eat on a regular occurrence. If I don’t have eggs for one of my meals I always boil up for four eggs for a healthy and tasty snack throughout the day.
Boiled served with avocado, tomatoes and spinach
So what are the health benefits of eggs I hear you ask? Eggs are classed as a super food (another to add to your list) with a list of some of the nutritional benefits…
- Protein – they are excellent source of protein (6 grams each egg) which suits a vegetarian diet by eliminating meat and also cheaper than buying other protein sources such as meat or supplements.
- Cancer Fighting – eggs contain choline which has been found to reduce womens likelihood of attracting breast cancer.
- Eyes – lutein and zeaxanthin found in eggs are both antioxidants which have been shown to ward off macular degeneration.
- Weight loss – due to the high protein levels in an egg this leaves us feeling fuller for longer and more satisfied once finishing a meal to snack on other food, furthermore the amino acid in the eggs is used and broken down by our muscles.
- Low calorie – one egg contains around 72 calories, and if you just eat the egg white that’s around 15 calories.
Vegetable omelette using egg whites and one whole egg (attempted with a STICK pan!)
Eggs have received much criticism that they increase your cholesterol but studies have proven this is not the case. I often only eat one whole egg a day and the rest egg whites, if you are concerned the yolk may increase your cholesterol. But don’t let this put you off the egg. Enjoy! Fx